What to Expect
At Academy of Make Up Arts, we keep our class-sizes very small, usually between 10-12 students per session. When choosing the right candidates for these seats, we look at much more than the information you put on the application form. Our Admissions Advisers are here to talk with you, get to know you, answer your questions and help you improve your chances of getting selected.
The application process goes much smoother when you are well-informed. Take the time to read through our website and understand what you like about the school and our programs. Make sure you are familiar with the policies in our School Catalog and Annual Performance Report, which gives you invaluable information about our completion rates, job placement rates and more. And while you’re doing your homework, check out “Importance of Admissions Essays and How to Write a Good One“, an article written by our Director.
Our advisers are here to help you through the admissions process. Once you’ve read through our website and come up with some questions, complete the short inquiry form and an adviser will connect with you.
We may call you for a casual conversation just to get to know you better so we can personalize the assistance we give you. We will help you gather the required paperwork to prove you meet the requirements for admission.
Once you have completed the application and provided the required paperwork, your file goes to the Director for a final review. Your adviser will then give you a call or email to let you know the results.
Once you’re on campus, your adviser will still be here to help guide you in the right direction. If you want to take another AMUA program after graduation, we can help with that, too.
- You must be 18 years old, or 16 with parental consent if all other entry requirements are met.
- You must have graduated from high school or the equivalent.
- You must tour our institution (or virtual tour along with a phone interview).
- You must confirm that you have secured finances.
You are encouraged (but not required) to submit a portfolio that reflects previous work in makeup and/or other artistic interests. Submit portfolios here: https://amua.slideroom.com
But my super talented son or daughter really wants to attend your school before they’re 18!
A very rare exception may be made for ages 16+ who haven’t yet completed high school.
For those secondary (high school) students not enrolled under a training agreement, the applicant must meet the following admission requirements:
- meet the state requirements for admission (complete 10th grade and be 16 years of age)
- proof of completion of 10th grade can be shown through high school transcripts
- proof of age can be shown through a drivers license, birth certificate, etc.
- provide permission in writing from the secondary school in which they are enrolled
- successfully complete the pre-enrollment evaluation
Proof of High School Completion
Accepted proof of secondary education includes:
- Official, sealed copy of your high school transcript or GED
- Official, sealed copy of a completed Bachelor’s degree transcript
- State certification of home-school completion and transcripts
- Tennessee High School Proficiency Exam letter
- Signed Proof of High School Equivalency Declaration Form
- We cannot accept copies nor make copies of your originals!
- Gather transcripts or proof of completion from all prior post-secondary schools including aesthetics, cosmetology, college and university
Veterans planning to use VA educational benefits must provide the following:
- Letter of Eligibility (LOE)
Email to: email@example.com
Academy of Make Up Arts
830 Fesslers Parkway, Suite 114
Nashville, TN 37210
You will be asked to pay a $100 non-refundable application fee when you submit your application. This is a requirement for consideration; it lets us know you’re serious.
A portfolio is not required to enroll at Academy of Make Up Arts, but one may be submitted if you have experience in the arts in any medium. Having a background in the arts might could improve your chances of acceptance by allowing you to stand out from other applicants. Additionally, all applicants with portfolios are automatically reviewed for scholarship consideration.
You can submit your portfolio online via SlideRoom at http://amua.slideroom.com. Please note, there is a $10 fee to submit a portfolio.
Don’t worry, students who do not have an art portfolio are still eligible to attend Academy of Make Up Arts.